Friends Without Borders (FWB) community leaders help UFV students build intercultural connections. Together, they assist and support diverse FWB members, building global networks through multicultural activities. To apply pleaes fill out registration form below.
Why become an FWB community leader
As an FWB community leader, you contribute to promoting diversity and inclusivity at UFV, and build global connections.
- Gain skills in leadership, intercultural communication, and group facilitation.
- Receive a Certificate of Recognition as a UFV student leader.
- Have fun and meet new people from around the world!
What FWB community leaders do
FWB community leaders work with UFV staff and other student volunteers. You co-plan and co-lead sessions and provide support to the members.
- Facilitate breakout sessions.
- Help set up before and clean up after the sessions.
- Assist, guide, and support participants during the sessions.
- Connect members to UFV resources.
- Promote UFV activities and events for our members.
- Support FWB staff.
Skills and requirements of FWB community leaders
Being an FWB community leader is an important role. To be accepted to the program, you must have experience and skills. You must also be able to commit to the needed amount of time and have a personal commitment to the activities and goals of the program.
You must have:
- Been an FWB member, or have participated in another leadership program for at least one semester.
- Experience supporting your peers.
- Knowledge of available resources for UFV students.
Skills and interests
You should have:
- A willingness to develop your leadership skills.
- An interest in intercultural learning and sharing.
- An interest in building a diverse and inclusive UFV community.
Duration: 1 semester
Hours and number of weeks: 2 hours per week for 8 weeks, plus orientation and training (approximately 25 hours per semester). Tuesdays from 4:30pm - 6:00pm starting February 7th
Number of volunteer positions: 5-10
You must be willing to:
- Attend an interview.
- Attend the mandatory training session.
- Be available for FWB community leader meetings.
- Be available for FWB sessions.
- Be open to learning new things.
- Be ready to have fun.
We will begin accepting applications for community leaders in August. Please check back then.
Find out more
For more information, email GSA@ufv.ca