Apply for study permits and visas

As of Jan 22, 2024, students applying for a new study permit will require an attestation letter provided by the province of British Columbia. For more information, please refer to the IRCC website.

The information on this page is intended for new students. If you are a current student, see Immigration: Updating study permits and visas.

As a new international student, you need a study permit and visa/eTA to enter Canada. When you get your official letter of acceptance, apply immediately, as processing can take up to 13 weeks.

Getting your study permit and visa

To come to Canada as an international student, you must have:

  • A valid study permit to stay here for the length of your studies.
  • A visa or Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada.

Step 1: Receive your official letter of acceptance

We will send you an official letter of acceptance after:

  1. You paid your fees.
  2. We received and evaluated your official documents.

When you have your letter, you can begin the process to get your study permit and visa/eTA.

Step 2: Apply for your study permit

You may be able to apply online for your Canadian study permit. To begin the application, you need:

  • Your official letter of acceptance from UFV.
  • The receipt from your fees and tuition deposit.

You can also apply in person at a Citizenship and Immigration Canada visa office in your region.

Apply online for your Canadian study permit

Get the latest information on Canadian study permits.
Check the processing time for your study permit application.

Faster processing through the Student Direct Stream (SDS)

You may be able to get your Canadian study visa more quickly through the Student Direct Stream (SDS). To apply through SDS, you must be a legal resident living in one of the following countries:

  • China
  • India
  • Morocco
  • Pakistan
  • the Philippines
  • Senegal
  • Vietnam

See the SDS guidelines and apply for your Canadian study visa through SDS.

Learn more about SDS.

Step 3: Apply for your visa/eTA

In many cases, if you are applying for a study permit, your visa is granted automatically. There are also some circumstances under which you do not need a visa. See the latest from Immigration and Citizenship Canada to find out what travel documents you need and whether you should make a separate application.

What happens if I cannot get a study permit?

If you have been refused a study permit by the Canadian embassy or are unable to attend UFV for medical reasons, you can do one of the following:

  • Request a refund.
  • Transfer your fees to the next available semester.

If you choose not to come for other reasons, you may be eligible for a partial refund if you make your request before classes start.

Learn more about UFV tuition refunds and rules.

Contact Us