Immigration: Updating study permits and visas

Questions about study permits or immigration? UFV's Regulated Canadian Immigration Consultant, John Fernando, holds workshops for current students to answer your questions.

Register for an immigration workshop

Note: The information on this page is for current students. If you are an incoming international student, see Apply for study permits and visas.

If you are a current student enrolled at UFV, your study permit and study permit extension application will not be affected by the recent IRCC announcement.

Study permits

Plan ahead to renew your study permit and request UFV documentation. Request letters and renew your study permit before it expires.

To stay in Canada and study at UFV, you need a valid study permit. You must apply to renew your study permit at least 90 days before it expires.

You may need a letter from us to:

  • Get your study permit renewed.
  • Secure a scholarship.
  • Request a loan from your bank (bank support letter).

If you need a letter from us for your study permit, you must request it before the 90-day deadline to renew your permit.

How to renew or restore your study permit

Request a letter

You may need a letter or an official record for your permit and visa, such as a:

  • Study-permit renewal letter
  • Bank letter
  • Military letter
  • Enrolment letter
  • Completion letter
  • Invitation letter
  • Letter of acceptance
  • Other type of letter

Note: You must pay your fees in full before we can issue a letter.

Request an official letter from UFV

Work permits

If you are a full-time student with a study permit, you may be able to do paid work on or off-campus without a separate work permit.

If you are preparing to graduate from a degree, diploma, or certificate, you may be eligible for a post-graduate work permit (PGWP).

Learn more about working as a student or graduate 

Immigration workshops

UFV online immigration workshops give you useful information about:

  • Study permits and work permits
  • Post-graduate work permits
  • Spousal work permits
  • Other types of work permits
  • Temporary resident visas (TRV)
  • Inviting family members (visitors visas)
  • Replacing or amending your study permit
  • Designated learning institution (DLI) transfer to UFV
  • Immigration rules on academic standing and non-study
  • How to schedule a break at UFV

One-on-one virtual drop-in appointments

If you still have questions after your workshop, we offer daily virtual drop-in appointments for international students. The appointments start at 8 am Pacific Time and are on a first-come, first-served basis.

John Fernando is our advisor on study permit renewals, restoration, and work permits.

Book a virtual drop-in

Contact Us