You are probably wondering how to get started at UFV. It might even look like a difficult process, like looking up at a steep mountain trail. That is why we call our orientation program CLIMB — because it gets you up the “mountain” one step at a time. At the end of your CLIMB, you can celebrate with us at The Peak!
CLIMB with us
CLIMB is our orientation program for international students. We designed it for people who come to UFV each year from more than 75 countries around the world — new students just like you. CLIMB includes lots of great information and activities to help you prepare for your new UFV life.
Note: This information is very important. We strongly recommend that you attend the live sessions or watch the recording of all orientation sessions.
Follow UFV CLIMB on Instagram at @climb.ufv.
How to join CLIMB
Get the iCent App
As a new student, you are required to sign up for iCent. You will find all the resources, forms, and checklists you need, in one convenient app. After you download the app, you will need to register for CLIMB.
- Download the iCent app (available at the Apple Store and Google Play Store). If you are unable to download the app, visit the iCent web app.
- Select "Canada" as your institution country.
- Select "University of the Fraser Valley" as your institution name.
- Enter your UFV student email and confirm that it is correct. You will receive an email with a secured PIN to log in. (Visit Set up your UFV accounts page to learn how to log into your UFV student email if you are unsure.)
- Enter the PIN and press "continue."
- Complete your profile.
- Find the "CLIMB Orientation" icon and fill out the CLIMB Registration Winter 2023 form.
As an incoming international student, we will also invite you to join CLIMB by:
- Sending you a personal invitation at your UFV email address.
- Putting a general invitation on our Instagram page, @climb.ufv.
If you have not already done it, set up your UFV accounts now. We send your CLIMB invitation to your UFV email address, and we will continue to use the address for other messages throughout your time at UFV.
You can also register for CLIMB after you download and install the iCent app. Just look for the CLIMB Orientation icon and fill out the form.
How CLIMB works
You will get practical information and opportunities to ask questions. You will also get to meet our CLIMB Guides, who are second-year students. They can give you first-hand insights into what it is like to be at UFV.
Our information sessions are all online, and you can attend them from anywhere in the world.
On the first Friday when school starts, we hold a celebration we call “The Peak”, which may be online or live, depending on pandemic conditions at the time.
Live information sessions
CLIMB includes live sessions where we guide you through practical things such as:
- Preparing for Canada
- Medical insurance
- Online learning
- Academic support services
- Immigration workshops
- Campus resources
- How to use student accounts: myClass/Blackboard (our online learning platform), myUFV, and myMail
How to attend the online sessions between November 29 to December 08, 2022
Use the invitation we send you to register ahead of time for live sessions.
We record the main sessions that you can review in CVENT. You an watch earlier recorded orientation sessions.
How to attend in-person events between December 12 to 21, 2022
Register for an in-person campus tour led by your CLIMB Guides by logging into your CVENT account. There will be tours offered every Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.
When CLIMB starts
Your CLIMB orientation will take place roughly over the last four weeks right before your first semester.
- Fall semester: CLIMB starts early August
- Winter semester: CLIMB starts late November
- Summer semester: CLIMB starts early April