CLIMB Guides are student leaders who help incoming international students navigate the process of UFV orientation. It is a great opportunity to get valuable experience, build skills, and make new friends. New students value the opportunity to hear your first-person insights into the UFV experience!
CLIMB Guides help new students
Incoming international students will enjoy meeting you and being able to ask you about your experience at UFV.
You can be a CLIMB Guide whether you are an international or domestic UFV student. You simply need to enjoy meeting new people and be willing to share details of your time at UFV, whether it is about academics or the social side of things.
As a CLIMB Guide, you help by doing the following:
- Host a Q&A session about your academic program.
- Connect and check in with new students assigned to you.
- Help with the live welcome Peak Party on the Friday before the semester starts.
- Invite new students to Welcome Week events and other social events
Benefits of being a CLIMB Guide
As a guide, you get:
- CLIMB Guide swag and an appreciation package
- A new network of friends at UFV
You also get to develop personal and professional skills such as intercultural leadership and event planning.
If you are accepted as a CLIMB Guide, you must commit to training and events. The specific dates are posted each semester. The activities include:
- Training: Training is approximately four hours and includes volunteer expectations, diversity and bias awareness training, and online etiquette.
- Prep for your CLIMB with new students: A live online event where incoming international students can ask you and other guides questions about being a UFV student. It is recorded for students who are not able to attend.
- Learn from the Pros: An all-inclusive event that focuses on guiding new students on how to prepare for their first week of classes at UFV.
- The Peak: A celebration of the end of orientation. It is held on the last Friday evening before each semester starts and may be potentially an in-person event, through Zoom, or a combination.
- Other activities include:
- Meeting with your assigned group of new international students.
- Inviting your group to engage with other UFV communities.
- Responding to other UFV-related questions posed by your group.
- Monday, October 17, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM [in-person]
- Tuesday, October 18, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM [in-person]
- Tuesday, October 25, 10:00 AM - 1:00 PM [in-person]
Prep for your CLIMB:
- Tuesday, November 29, 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM, 2022 [online]
Learn from the Pros:
- Thursday, December 8, 8:00 AM - 9:30 AM, 2022 [online]
- Friday, January 6, 4:00 PM - 8:30 PM, 2022 [in-person]
How to register