Complete withdrawal from UFV
If you must fully withdraw from UFV for reasons beyond your control, such as an illness or study permit refusal, you have two options:
- You can claim a refund of your tuition fees according to the terms outlined below.
- You can transfer your fees to the next available semester without any penalties by completing a Request for Deferred Admission form by the deadline before classes begin.
Eligibility for a full refund
You can only obtain a full refund of your tuition fee deposit, less the $150 non-refundable application fee and a $150 administration fee, if you can demonstrate that:
- The Canadian Embassy has refused to grant you a Study Permit; or
- You are unable to attend due to medical reasons.
You must request a refund before classes begin and provide either a visa rejection letter from the Canadian Embassy/Consulate, or provide an official medical note from a doctor as supporting evidence.
The processing time for refunds is approximately 4 to 6 weeks.
Eligibility for a partial refund
If you withdraw from UFV to attend another public, post-secondary institution, you can obtain a 50% refund by requesting a refund before classes begin AND by providing a copy of your letter of acceptance from the institution you will be attending. The deadline is January 5, 2020, for the Winter 2020 semester.
If you withdraw from UFV for other reasons, you can obtain a 25% refund by requesting a refund up until the end of the second week of classes. The deadline is January 17, 2020, for the Winter 2020 semester.
All partial refund requests are final.
If you withdraw from UFV after the first two weeks of classes, you are not eligible for any refund.
Partial withdrawal from UFV
You can withdraw from one or more courses, but must remain registered for at least one course.
Fall and Winter semesters
Because international students pay a flat fee for the Fall and Winter semesters, withdrawing from one or more classes does not qualify you for a refund, unless you qualify for a reduced course load as outlined below.
In the summer, you pay for courses per credit. If you choose to drop a course but retain at least one course, you can get a refund based on the fee reductions information outlined on the Office of the Registrar website.
Fee penalties range from 0 to 100% and are based on the total tuition fees for the course(s) from which you withdraw. The amount refunded will depend on the amount you paid, less the amount UFV retains.
Reduced course load & per credit tuition payment
To reduce your UFV course load and pay tuition on a per credit basis in a fall or winter semester, you can make a written request with appropriate evidence demonstrating one of the following criteria:
- The full time course load for the semester combines UFV courses and courses at another institution
- Less than the normal course load is required to complete the credential in the last semester of study
- Medical reasons prevent full time study
- Off-campus part-time studies through online course(s)
- Co-op work semesters can include part-time study paid on a per-credit basis.
Unlike the fall and winter semesters, summer semesters are considered optional and provide you with an opportunity to study part time and pay for courses on a per-credit basis (rather than as a flat fee).
Students who are approved to pay per credit are subject to the withdrawal penalty dates set out by the Office of the Registrar each semester.
If you require further information or clarification regarding refunds or course load reductions, please contact Leah Carr