Latest updates

The information on this page is based on information available at the time of publishing and may not always be up to date. 

As the COVID-19 situation continues, Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) and other government departments are constantly revising their policies. Links for the most current information have been provided below; 

  • See the latest information on how COVID-19 is affecting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). 
  • You can also review IRCC program or policy changes due to COVID-19 from the program delivery instructions for officers.
  • Visit this page often as we will continue to update it as the situation evolves.

For the most up-to-date information about the University’s response to COVID-19, please visit

Canadian Bureau for International Education: 

Questions and Answers with IRCC 

I am unable to depart to my home country, what should I do?
As a temporary resident who is already in Canada and is unable to depart, we encourage you to apply for a study permit extension so that you can maintain your temporary resident status in Canada.
What if my applications are still in progress or my study permit will expire in the next few weeks and I am unable to retrieve all the required documents (transcript, etc) for my application because UFV is closed?
You are still encouraged to apply for an extension as a temporary resident. You should apply before your study permit expires. You will benefit from implied status and may remain in Canada until a decision is rendered on your application, or the required documents can be submitted.
I have not been studying full-time due to COVID-19 closures. Will it impact my eligibility for a post-graduation work permit? Is there flexibility on the IRCC's part when it comes to the "continuous full-time enrollment" required for PGWP eligibility if I have a gap in my studies or need to drop down to part-time enrollment for reasons related to COVID-19?
IRCC will take the effects of COVID-19 under consideration when assessing Post-Graduation Work Permit program eligibility. Although under normal circumstances, in order to be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program, international students must maintain their full-time student status during each academic session of the program or programs of study they complete and submit as part of their Post-Graduation Work Permit application, if you are unable to meet this criteria due to reasons related to COVID-19, you will still be considered eligible for the PGWPP, provided you meet all the other program criteria.
In the event that my full-time enrollment is impacted due to circumstances beyond my control (i.e. COVID-19), will I continue to be authorized to work on a study permit? 

In regards to working on or off-campus, given that COVID-19 is beyond a student’s control, international students who were eligible to work on or off-campus can continue to work on or off-campus even if they have been forced to drop to part-time studies or take a break in studies.

However, you are still subject to the authorized number of hours you would have been permitted had you been a full-time student. Therefore, you can work part-time (up to 20 hours a week) off-campus during an academic session and full-time during a regularly scheduled break.

(Please attend an IRCC workshop on study permit and work permit compliance and many other topics via online. Register at


Sourav Aggarwal

My UFV experience has provided me another family, as well as a lot more destinations to travel around the world without worrying about a place to live. I am living a good life at UFV! 

  • – Sourav Aggarwal
  •    UFV Student
Read more

Contact Us